Most of us are concerned about just creating and promoting content on our blogs. We are concerned about frequency of posts and engagement with our readers. However, the job doesn’t end here.
Ensuring that the blog is in good health always is also a critical part of its success. Now good health doesn’t only mean uploading the fresh content, having an appealing layout, etc.etc.
It is much more than that. The safety, security and revision and updating of your blog or site equally contribute to its health. Maintaining a blog doesn’t need to be exasperating if you adopt a few good habits. In fact, it’s just a matter of few minutes and you really don’t have to spend endless hours in keeping your blog in shape.
Here are a few tips that can help you maintain your blog if you’ve chosen WordPress as a platform.
1. Backup is crucial: You may face a range of issues including, losing of posts, hacking or other similar disasters at any time. What is important for you is to create a backup for the content, themes and database. You can access these files anytime and use them whenever you face any horrible situation.
How to Create Backup? Well, I’m sure you’re not going to do it manually. It’s not only time consuming but is annoying also. So, download and install WP DB Plug-in for this purpose. You can use this to automate the backup process to save content as well as themes.
2. Check if plug-ins you have are compatible with the newer version of WordPress: Have migrated your blog to the latest WordPress version? Don’t forget to check if the existing plug-ins are compatible with the new WP version. As most people use free plug-ins, it’s important to keep a keep a check on their validity and utility.
Besides this, it’s important to drop the ones that are outdated or are no longer used. If you find it hectic to maintain your blog, you can have a WordPress developer do it for you.
3. Security scan is critical: Run a security scan frequently to ensure the safety of your blog. You can consider installing a plug-in, WP Security Scan, for this.
Changing passwords frequently also helps in maintaining the security of your blog.
4. Spam filtering: Spam filtering is one of the most important to-do’s to keep your WordPress blog in good health. Make sure you have a routine to clear spam comments. There are times when you are unable to access your blog and hundreds of spam comments get accumulated.
The first thing you should do is deleting spam comments whenever you access your blog. You can also avail the services of WordPress experts for this.
5. Get rid of dead links: Look for dead links on your blog and fix them. Broken links reduce the popularity of your blog.
To do this manually can be really hectic for you. Download a plug-in called Broken Link Checker to fix broken links on your blog.
Along with this, having a good WP theme also contributes. If you don’t possess the expertise in house, you can also avail professional services of WordPress theme developers.
Kuntal Mehta (KJ) is the managing partner of Seashore Partners, a we